Car accidents come out of nowhere. No one plans on getting involved in one. Well, perhaps in rare cases, but that’s an entirely different subject. This post is about what you need to know if you are ever involved in one, however minor it may seem at the time.
Even Minor Car Accidents Can have Long-Lasting Physical Consequences
If you’ve been involved in a major car accident and have sustained significant injuries, the immediate thing to do is seek emergency medical attention. That much is obvious. What’s not so obvious are the ramifications of a seemingly minor car accident like a simple fender-bender or rear-end collision. Also, if you’re ever involved in what we might call a “moderate” car accident, you need to be aware of the following information.
Symptoms of auto accident injuries are often latent
This means they don’t immediately appear. You survive an accident and think you got out Scott free, only to find that days or even weeks later, you begin to experience uncomfortable and alarming symptoms. These usually include:
- Soreness in the neck, shoulders, and back
- Limited range of motion
- Muscle spasms
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Depression, confusion, and disorientation
Often these manifest as a result of whiplash, which results from the sudden jolting of the neck, and is one of the most common auto accident injuries. Another factor can be musculoskeletal damage, where various muscles, nerves, tendons, and other tissues are torn or damaged in some way
If you’ve been involved in an auto accident in Orlando, chiropractic care can help
An Orlando chiropractor at Integrative Physical Medicine can provide treatment for these conditions. Our services are safe, effective, and best of all, natural. That is to say, we don’t just cover up your symptoms with addictive, toxic, painkilling drugs. Instead, we take care of the cause of your pain with a variety of chiropractic adjustments. We don’t want our patients addicted to opioids. These only cover up the symptoms and create further problems like addiction.
How We Treat Our Patients
We specialize in treating musculoskeletal and nervous system problems. These are the most common areas damaged in car accidents. We can adjust various areas of the body, usually in the spinal column. This is often a hands-on approach, although it can be done with the accompaniment of a chiropractic instrument.
Do chiropractic adjustments hurt? The answer is almost universally: no. With a proper chiropractic adjustment, you shouldn’t expect any level of discomfort. In fact, our patients often report immediate feelings of pain relief following our adjustments.
With our chiropractic care, we can:
- Hasten auto accident injury recovery
- Reduce inflammation and pain
- Remedy bulging or slipped discs
- Reduce headaches
- Improve the health of the nervous system
- Increase your energy
- Enhance your mobility
- Improve your sleep
Our Orlando chiropractors will adjust specific joints in your body, putting into place areas that have been displaced, thus reducing inflammation, enhancing mobility, and giving you all of the benefits that necessarily result. We offer a wide range of adjustments. Some may just need one type of adjustment, while others require a combination of specific adjustments. We can provide the appropriate care depending on your specific condition.
Whether or not you were wearing a seatbelt is usually irrelevant when it comes to rear-end collisions – the accident most likely to result in whiplash. Usually, a neck adjustment is the most appropriate treatment, with which we can treat injuries to:
- Intervertebral joints
- Nerve roots
Neck adjustments are also referred to by the professionals as “cervical manipulations”. We adjust the neck with a special focus on specific joints.
You’d be surprised by the far-reaching effects of a neck adjustment. You may begin to find your stiffness and mobility improve muscles that adjoin the neck, and experience pain relief in places you didn’t expect.
Often neck adjustments are appropriate for musculoskeletal pain all kinds, however, you may require an adjustment lower in the back. This is where chiropractic instruments often come into play. Our Orlando chiropractic doctors can reduce inflammation and swelling that occurs with musculoskeletal pain. We can also restore the function and mobility of your joints, allowing you to move more freely.
Electric Stimulation Therapy
While not a chiropractic service, this can be combined with our Orlando chiropractic care to help streamline recovery. Electric stimulation helps you recover from injuries that limit your mobility. Electric stimulation can also help muscles that have been weakened by an auto accident by contracting them. It can also help reduce muscle spasms.
Answers To Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do I really need to see a doctor?
- A: If an auto injury is life-threatening, you need to be in the ER. However, there are many times where auto accident injury symptoms don’t manifest until days or weeks after the accident. In these cases, our Orlando chiropractors can help. It’s also good to see a doctor immediately following an accident even if you aren’t experiencing symptoms, as getting treatment early on can reduce the duration of later problems, or prevent them entirely. We at Integrative Physical Medicine can locate problem areas before the symptoms manifest.
Q: Should I go to my PCP or a chiropractor?
- A: Many Primary Care Providers refer their patients to chiropractors specifically trained in treating auto accident injuries. Many of these injuries are difficult to find. Musculoskeletal injuries can cause referred pain to areas that seem unrelated to the injured area. Often PCPs don’t know how to locate these “hidden injuries”. An Orlando chiropractor at Integrative Physical Medicine can.
Q: How long do I have to see a doctor before I can no longer file a claim?
- A: In the state of Florida, you have a 14-day deadline to see a doctor following an accident. After that, it can be incredibly difficult to file a claim. This is why it’s important to see an Orlando chiropractor immediately following an accident. Not only will this ensure your ability to file a claim, but it will also streamline your recover and can even prevent symptoms of injuries before they manifest.
Q: What about surgery or pain medication?
A: In almost all cases, Integrative Physical Medicine can provide the care that you need without these measures. Our Orlando chiropractic care is a safe and natural way of treating injuries and relieving your pain. There are far too many people addicted to opioids such as hydrocodone, oxycodone, and fentanyl. These drugs serve only to mask your symptoms and create further problems down the line.